From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:51:35 -0400
eBay Giving Works is managed by Mission Fish, which is operates sort of
like United Way. They verify non-profit status and manage the receipt
and distribution of funds donated via eBay - BUT, for a PRICE!

According to wikipedia "MissionFish is partly funded by deductions
from donations. These vary from 3.75% for cash donations, up to around
10%-15% from donations made from the proceeds of eBay sales, on a
sliding scale. (For US sellers, the scale is as follows: 20% of the
first $50, 15% of the next $50-$199, 10% of the next $200-$999 of each
individual donation for processing costs)." That means if you make a
$50 donation, MissionFish takes $10; which represents their
bookkeeping, administrative, check-writing, and mailing expenses.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MissionFish#cite_note-11>

This is WHY FACT has not registered with Mission Fish. Not that we
don't like donations :) but because we honestly feel that it is far
better for folks to direct your donation so that the most money
possible passes to the organization and does not go to additional
administrative overhead!

United Way does offer, IMHO, some additional, valuable community
services. In addition to receiving and distributing donations,
verifying non-profit status, they also provide valuable community
services. For example, here in the Hartford area, FACT's board has
gone to their "charitable board of directors education classes" and
has used their research library for additional training and information
on the grant-making process. But, other than the convenience of payroll
deduction, it is always best to go direct where possible.

I suspect these types of services work well for big charities who are
also happy with sharing donation money even with paid fund-raisers. 25%
of $1 is better than 100% of $0. They don't miss a few dollars here or
there. But IMHO, if you really want to maximize your support of small
organizations, do the "administration" yourself by sending a check or
go through a group like SOS who doesn't charge an administration fee.
Every ferret shelter I know, including FACT counts EVERY dollar as
being important to the welfare of the animals in our care! (ctd)