From:
Robert Rhode <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 1994 10:35:40 -0500
I don't want to start a war here, but why shouldn't we welcome lab
research groups in the FML?  Giving them the cold shoulder is not
going to make them stop doing animal research.  So, if you take it as
a given that ferrets are being used in research, wouldn't you prefer
that those ferrets receive the best care possible?  (Okay, I admit
killing them isn't exactly quality care, but as I said, I'm taking
that as a given.)

Besides, the way I see it, perhaps after reading this list awhile, the
research groups may begin to appreciate ferrets for all their queer
ferret qualities, as we do, and decide on their own not to kill them
at the end of an experiment, or even to cease using them.  But I don't
understand how we can help lab ferrets by begrudging these researchers
access to a ferret-sympathetic community.

- Bob (Speaking only for myself)