From:
Trudi Casler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:09:42 EDT
hi,
hers what to do just as a basic procaution....its not extreme...some say
it is but its alot better than anything else...i have 11 ferrets and its
helped some of mine who use to do that...

- wash cage once a week in a mild dish soap....(dove, ivory)
- wash bedding once a week or more in needed in woolite...NO FABRIC
  SOFTENER OR FABRIC SHEETS...
- change bedding once a week or more than that if it gets soiled...
- dont use that carpet sprinkle stuff..
- vaCcum every day...we have to...it really makes a difference...
- make sure that where they play at, that you are not using something
  harsh...bleach, and etc...
- no air freshners....
- go ahead and give your ferrets a really good bath...there is some stuff
  that you can get from the vet...its called allergroom...its really
  good... i have to use that on one ferret..but on the others i like to
  use that stuff by tomlyn...the more natural the better for me...
- and if you smoke in the house or are around smokers...get rid of it....
  make sure your air filter gets cleaned/changes every month...believe me
  you will even notice a difference for yourself....

thats just the basics...in case you are dealing with allergies and or
asthma... i would definately do these things and see if it makes a
difference....if not please go to the vet....

even your perfume can make a ferret, animal, person...sneeze and wheeze...
i have children who have/had asthma and some of my ferrets have allergies
to certain things...

so after all the vet bills and etc.  this is what we had come up with...
and it works for us...

im not preaching on smokers...i smoked for 10yrs...but never in my house
aor vehicle...and i tried to always hide the smell of smoke...cant do
that...i still smelled like an ashtray!!! ;-)  so i quit...

so i hope that this works for you...
Trudie and the 11 little wonders...