From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:54:14 -0400
>I am really not trying to start a bone war I am just wondering if other
>folks feed the gravy to their fuzzys this way without problems?

Yep.  That's no problem.  Most fuzzies will eat around the bone bits.
Some will actually intentionally crunch on them, but you can rest
assured that your ferrets won't "accidentally" swallow any bone bits.
Even if they did, it's very unlikely that it would harm them.  (Ferrets
can digest bone.)

If you're really worried about it, you can strain your gravy through a
coarse strainer to catch most of the bits.  A coarse wire mesh strainer
works best - it has to be fine enough to catch the small bone bits, but
coarse enough to let the ground meat particles through.

 ------------

Pepcid, as well as Zantac and Tagamet (famotidine, ranitidine and
cimetidine), are useful for ferret stomach ailments, but are not
substitutes for Pepto or Carafate.  The action is completely different.
Pepcid lowers the production of stomach acid, while Pepto and Carafate
actually coat the stomach lining to protect it from harm.  Be aware that
Helicobacter thrive in an alkaline environment, so if your fuzzy has
ulcers from a Helicobacter infection, antacids like Pepcid may actually
make the problem worse.

If an antacid is called for, any of the three are ok, and Prilosec
(omeprazole) can also be used.  As always, check with your vet before
giving your fuzzy any of these.

roger