Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 07:29:02 -0800
We had to rush Phoebe, our "old lady", to the vet last evening.  It seems
that she was accidently sat on by a child.  It was not told to June or I
for almost two hours and by then Phoebe was very lethargic, shaking in pain
and breathing very rapidly.  June was very upset, afraid that Phoebe might
need to be put to sleep.  Dr F at the clinic we visit wanted to get an xray
to make sure that her back wasn't broken.  She gave Phoebe something for
pain and came back later on to tell us the results.  Nothing broken, though
she could not rule out internal injuries at the time.  They wanted to keep
her overnight, but we opted to take her home with us, just incase.  They
gave her SQ fluids and some steroids to treat for shock.  June cuddled her
in a blanket and laid her down beside her.  I think we both finally fell
asleep touching touching her.

This morning, she is at least able to move her head more.  She does not
move anything beyond her front legs.  She would not even take her favorite
food (bananas).  She has a follow-up eval this morning, but it is not
looking good.  If it is suggested to put her down, then at least she will
not be in any pain anymore.  June will be taking her to work with her
until her appointment.

It's strange, but it seems that you never know how much you love something
until you might lose it.  Please keep Phoebe in your thoughts and prayers.
We'll keep you all posted.

Louis (of June, Louis and the Zoo)

=====
Yesterday I was the bug, today I am the windshield.  What will I be
tomorrow and the next day.