Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:15:53 -0500
Here is Tayna's story as of today.  Thanks for the help.  I REALLY
appreciate it.

Tayna is a 4 year old albino MF female.  She has had her adrenal problem
for about one and a half years.  She had been on Lysodren for about one
year, no surgeries.  No pancreatic problems, no insulinaoma.

Tayna started with a nasty diarrhea on December 28.  She was taken to the
vet the next morning.  At this time she was dehydrated.  Later in the day
she became very disoriented.  She was given sub cue fluids and Prednisone
because it was thought she was in adrenal crisis.  The Prednisone was mixed
with B-12 and was given via injection.  Later that night she was given IV
fluids, 20 cc's of sodium cl and 1 1/2 cc's Solu-delta (a steroid).

The next morning we did blood work.  All her organ values were within
normal limits.  Her glucose was 408 and Potassium was very low.  We began
insulin that night with .5 units twice a day of diluted insulin which
really amounted to .05 units of pure insulin.  She was also given potassium
and an injectable antibiotic to prevent secondary infections because of her
weak condition.  The next day we increased the insulin to 1 unit twice a
day and her glucose was checked 8 hours after the morning injection and was
450.  Now I am giving her 2 units in the morning and 1 unit at night and
will check her BG tomorrow after her morning injection.

She stopped eating with the only thing I could get down her being banana
baby food and Nutracal.  Last night she finally began eating her regular
food and drinking her water.  I am still supplementing her diet with
bananas and Nutracal.  Once she is on her regular food I believe her BG
will drop if only because of diet.

She has been very disoriented, falling over when walking but this is
getting better.  The vet says this is because of the high glucose and low
potassium.

That is about it.  The only thing I can give her now is time and the most
intensive care I can manage.  I am hoping this is a transient diabetes
induced because of stress.  The vet says ferrets are hard to regulate and I
will be on my own where I live because there are no ferret conscious vets
around.  This is happening while we are on vacation visiting family for the
X-mas holidays.  I have to go home on sunday and I hope her condition will
be more stable then.

If you have any suggestions or if any of the other vets may suggest
something I would appreciate it.  Also, can you recommend any vets in the
Opelika/Auburn AL area?  We are close to Columbus GA.

Thanks again,
Angie (AL) and Britta (KY)