Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2011 00:04:53 -0400
obviously, hanging out in the backyard really isn't much of an
enrichment programme, so sometimes my friend Ina and I like to drag
our ferrets out a little further. and nothing says enrichment like a
2 hour car ride with ferrets you don't get along with, right? the
pinery national park has a wonderful dog beach, and we've been there
a few times with the weasels.

we take our 2 sportsbrella (one for the dog, one for the ferrets, and
we steal what shade we can), 3 sets of prevue hendryx ferret playpen,
towels, hammock, bucket, trowel etc etc. and a blow torch for grilled
cheese sandwiches, open faced.

Quasar the dog has been brought up to respect the weasel, and she
clearly considers them part of the family. I am not entirely sure why
a gated enclosure always attracts onlookers, but Q made herself ferret
guardian and stood to attention whenever someone came by. if they
started to point or talk, Q started to bark. she was great.
surprisingly, most dogs at the beach didn't seem to notice the ferrets,
too many distractions, perhaps? the ferrets themselves were happy to
stay in the safety of the carriers and hammocks. and very unhappy when
we took them out for the promised enrichment. earlier in the day, when
there were less people around, we bribe them with ferretone for photos.
when it was hotter in the afternoon, we took them out on their boat and
made them take a swim. despite their webbed feet, I don't think they
like swimming. Aurum was the only one who went into the water early on
and seem to tolerate swimming (more in pt 3). swimming weasels are so
cute though, that you just have to make them do it a couple of times...

my ferrets aren't exactly friends with Ina's, but the car ride home is
always peaceful and quiet..

Ina is my talented friend who took most of the beach photographs, and
a number of my garden ones as well. the pictures for the beach and
miscellaneous photos can be found here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/107549797049756791444/Fuzzies2011

Selina, Mochi, Jolt, Cola & Aurum