From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 11:25:32 EDT
Hello all.  I'm a regular lurker on the FML but have never posted before.
I have four of my own fuzzys and as of this post have three rescues.  The
three rescues are a result of my job at the local SPCA.  I work on an
animal rescue unit.  I'm holding one for it's stray time and the other two
were held by me because of mysterious hair loss that was resolved with
quality food.  They will all go up for adoption at the SPCA within the
next week.  Now the problem.  The prospective ferret owners are put through
the cat adoption process.  You must sit through an interview and answer
questions that range from amount of time spent at home?, other pets in the
house?  etc.  If approved to adopt a cat, you can take home a ferret for 25
dollars.  To take home a cat it will cost you fifty dollars.  I think many
of you will agree that this is unacceptable.  This is simply a continuation
of the problem that landed the ferret at the SPCA in the first place.

This SPCA is very high volume facility.  We see about 8,000 animals every
year, primarily dogs and cats.  As a result there is tunnel vision(forcing
all animals into the cat and dog evaluations with the exception of those
animals that obviously go to the wildlife dept.) on the part of the VT's
and other staff.  There is a ferret association and shelter in the area but
apparently the SPCA thinks it does a better job of placing ferrets because
they place more.  The association charges 75 dollars and screens people for
ferrets, not cats.  Naturally, the SPCA will place more ferrets.

My question to all of you........does anyone have an affiliation as a
shelter to an SPCA?  If so, what are the arrangements?  Financial
agreements?  Feedback will be greatly appreciated so that I can address
this with knowledge and experience.

Thank you in advance...

[KA]