From:
"Jonathan R. Mason" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:08:24 -0500
I apologize for taking so long in writing this publicly in the FML.  I wrote
a brief private message to Bob, Kitty and family last week.  I was shocked
to hear the outcome of Kodo s plight.  I couldn t react before now.  As
everyone else, I expected we had more time to work.  And now the numbness
wears off.  I haven t even been able to read (and may never be able to read)
all the postings in tribute to Kodo.  I have saved them but they are too
much for me to read.

I ( like most of you) take comfort in the Rainbow Bridge folk tale but the
reality is I have no answers regarding all the beloved pets I have lost to
death over the years.  I don t believe anyone does.  It s one of those
questions that will only be answered when it s my turn to join them.  And
yes, it does bother me if I dwell on it.  So I don t.

I do believe in God and God s word tells me, Old Testament even, that people
are to have dominion over the animals of the earth.  My personal
interpretation, and yes I can be wrong (I am divorced after all), is
dominion doesn t stop at man ruling over animals it includes that we are
held responsible for our actions and decisions regarding their health and
well being.  I have always felt a personal heavy burden in this matter.  I
know that there are much greater atrocities world wide that deserve my
attention and to some animals might seem insignificant but its exactly
because of this perspective that I give so much in support of those who have
no voice, no power, no rights.  I give my share to Right to Life
organizations and other human right movements around the world.  Is it wrong
that the ferrets and other small furry creatures are dearer to my heart?  I
hope not.  Well, these are the thoughts that go though my mind whenever a
senseless killing takes place.

About this national organization thing, I like the idea.  I am not well
aquatinted with AFA, are they willing to undertake something like this?  Are
they able?  Would this maybe be better addressed as a separate branch of the
AFA?  One that only addresses the legal and political aspects.  I think that
it might work out if we included some already established networks such as
local clubs and shelters.  There could be a national board with regional
people reporting to them and local people reporting to the regional ones.
This might simplify things a bit as far as who would be in charge of what.
A chain of information from the local level to the national and vice a
versa.  I know I would be willing to help out as much as I could in New
Mexico and I am sure others here would be too.

I also think different prices for different memberships are a good idea.
Such as; Life Member $1,000, Patrons $100, Club/Shelter $50, Individual $25,
with the possibility of Sponsorship donations being offered.  In exchange
of membership, offer voting power, a monthly publication, listing in the
publication, pins and such inticements (a title such as, Managing
Consultant, Resident Rable Rouser, etc...).

Please no flames.  Gotta headache.  Gotta delete key, too.

Amanda Christmas
New  Mexico Ferret Shelter & Rescue
Beauty for ashes, Strength for fear, Gladness for mourning, Peace for
despair