Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:26:59 -0600
I'm neither a breeder, nor a shelter operator although all three of my
ferrets came from rescue situations.  I took the first one on knowing
absolutely nothing about ferrets because I knew I could do better than his
abusive, neglectful owner.  I was willing to do the research to take care
of him, buy the food and supplies he need, and above all I was willing to
give him the love and attention he wasn't getting from Bobby.  The other
two I took in because I knew there was no other place for them and that I
could give them a better life than what they had.

To be a private breeder (a reputable one, anyway) you have to feel not
only a responsiblity and commitment to your animals, but also a love and
fascination for that particular type of animal.  Anyone who is willing to
take on that kind of commitment to breeding is not going to let an animal
be abused, neglected or abandoned just because it didn't come from his
stock.  Nor should he have to give up an enjoyable and profitable past
time to do rescue only.  (I'd be willing to be that more breeders become
rescuers than vice versa.  Just out of curiosity, anyone want to speak up?)
My dad's mutt dogs stayed in the same dog houses as his pedigreed dogs and
no stray went hungry.

charlie