From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 07:40:15 -0400
>From:    Jennifer H <[log in to unmask]>
>KiSta had a pregnant stray come in who had 3 beautiful babies (one died),
>and we are adopting one of the kits.  I would also love to take mom, but
>she is very, very protective of her babies.  They are six weeks tomorrow
>and she still tries to take Kim's hand off when she reaches for the babies.
>... What is the feasibility of adopting mom and her settling down or will
>she always be overly protective of her baby?

Hi--

I'd suggest waiting until the kits are at least 8 wks, preferable, 10-12
weeks.  By 8 wks they should be weaned and eating on their own.  Someone
between 8 and 10 wks mommy ferret should be less protective of them and
it will be easier to seperate her from them.  How quickly she'll give
them up, will depend on the mommy ferret.

KG