Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:26:21 +0000
I have seen many posts referring to the temperature of housing ferrets and
will just add my own two cents to this as well.

I am the kind of person that feels that the temperature of the house has
a direct influence on the ferret's coat as well as the number of hours of
natural light they receive.  And since the two of them go hand in hand,
it's hard to separate them.  I have noticed wonderful changes in their
coats due to both these factors and the changes are amazing.  I personally
believe that the coat change has a lot to do with the benefit of keeping
them warmer in winter.  Just by feeling their coats I can differentiate
between the summer coat and the winter coat... the winter one is fuller and
thicker, and very soft.  The summer one is lighter, shorter, and in most
cases, coarser.  I can tell that there is more going on here than just
cosmetics.

I have noticed that they sleep a lot more in winter than in summer and love
to snuggle up in the blankies.  They tend to eat more, building up their
fat reserves as well - more insulation.  Our new foster, Squeegie, has
taken to sleeping with us in the bed for warmth, but the temperature
certainly doesn't hinder his love for tag with us or his desire to explore
and lord over the other ferrets.  The temperature really does not seem to
bother him one way or the other.  When it gets cooler he merely beds down
where it is warm.  Keep in mind that all animals will acclimatize
themselves no matter where they are as long as they are given proper
shelter to give them the chance to do so.  Just look at any zoo in any
major city and see that animals who normally live in the warmer regions
survive well in the colder, snow bearing cities.  And animals that live
their lives in colder regions, accustom their bodies to accept the warmer
temperatures.  Working at a zoo I see it happen all the time.  Even I could
adjust my body to live in a much warmer state given that I live up in the
Great White North.  So tempting, so tempting....

I am also a great believer that the cooler temperatures keeps them
healthier.  Many studies have been done on the relationship of winter
sicknesses and people keeping their windows closed versus the healthier
summer months when people open their windows to allow in the fresh air.
(As a counter-point, I know that some of you are aware that some sickness
thrive better in warmer temperatures.) Many people do not allow fresh air
from outside into their homes during winter months thus allowing the
potential for harmful bacteria a place to grow.  Same for buildings that
don't allow fresh air in (proper air circulation) even in the summer
months.  You've heard it referred to as 'building sickness".  In the winter
months, I have the windows open on occasion just to let in fresh air.  The
ferrets are the first to stick their noses through the window to enjoy all
the wondrous smells.  I have two ferrets that show no fear in diving out
the front door in the middle of winter just to run out in the snow to play
"mole".  I personally like the house cooler in winter, and I don't want to
give the gas company more of my hard earned cash then I have to.  Besides,
I happen to lack the "body hair" that they have and am forced to bundle up.
My ferrets don't mind, and are rarely, if ever sick, from flu or colds, and
I get a wonderful blessing each coat change to see what they will become
next.

God bless temperature changes!

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur