From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:13:07 -0700
Someone posted about their ferret being found eating watermelon out of
a compost pile, and it sounded as if they were surprised.  This is not
surprising to me at all, mine love watermelon and often it is a good way
to hydrate a ferret that wont eat anything or drink anything.  My vet was
really amazed that I discovered this when my ferret was too sick and would
not even eat gravy.  On a whim (desperation), I tried the watermelon - all
of them absolutely adore it!  They just don't understand that it is not
always in season.  I have heard that cantaloupe is another one that ferrets
often like (I don't care for it, though).

It appears that Rick struck a nerve with his post.  Personally, I admire
him for putting that much thought into the well-being of his animals.  No,
I don't know where I will be in ten years but I DO KNOW that NOBODY or
ANYTHING will ever be able to separate me from my ferrets except death.
I had the opportunity to take a job somewhere that ferrets are illegal
(lots more money) BUT I turned it down because I WILL NOT take that risk.
Perhaps Rick was exaggerating, in order to make a point?  Either way, I
don't understand why any ferret lover or enthusiast would chastise someone
for this.  He is of the GOOD EXTREME.

I commend you, Rick, for having the nerve to speak your mind.  Don't let
any of the nay-sayers get you down or try to change your attitude.  Your
heart is in the right place!

BTW - The only reason I post anonymously is because of the previous
problems others have encountered on mailing lists (continual harassment
and threats).  There is nothing wrong with anonymous posts, as long as
they are not flames.  This post is to show support for someone who
obviously loves his ferrets very much.

Keep fuzzy!

DMC