From:
Ilena Ayala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:08:53 -0400
Edward Lipinski did lament:
>With respect to Shelter Helpers, let me say that they are not worth the
>time it takes to train them, for the most part.  Plus there's the
>complication in scheduling helpers who think nothing of not showing up nor
>calling ahead.

Disclaimer-I'm not a shelter, nor do I volunteer at one.  However I do
spend time training people at work, and I do have to schedule volunteers at
my Toastmasters meetings.  I'd love to hear from shelters who have methodss
that DO work for them, how about it??

The first statement above suggests that either you spend a lot of time
training each individual, or the individuals don't last long.  In either
case you might want to reconsider which duties you give to the volunteers
so you can minimize that effort.  For example, with a new volunteer who you
aren't sure will come back on a regular basis, you may want to simply plant
them in front of the wash area with the water bottles and food dishes to be
washed and let them have at it.

If volunteer turnover is high, you might want to consider writing up
instructions and laminating them for basic things like where supplies are
stored and how to prepare food.  Consider dividing the tasks by time of day
if, for example you normally clean all the bottles only in the morning,
that can be listed as a chore for morning volunteers.

Scheduling people who are no shows is a real frustration.  Consider
emailing/phoning the person a day or two ahead to remind them they are
expected to be there and if you leave a message or email, state clearly
that they are expected to call and let you know *whether they will be there
or not*.  I do this when I schedule people at my Toastmasters meetings-
there are about 15 jobs to be filled and I *must* know who will be there.
If I don't hear from them, I assume they aren't coming for whatever reason
and replace them.

Once someone is there, while they are volunteering (perhaps just before
they go), schedule their next volunteer date and give them a written note
with the time and date on it.  You can make up preprinted appointment cards
like dentists have, and have on it a request to please call a day or two
ahead and confirm that they are coming.  Make it easy for them to contact
you-include your phone # and email (if you want to get email) on the
appointment card.

And, simple but important-use the words "THANK YOU" a lot.  Volunteers do
need recognition and encouragement. "Thank you for coming and helping
today." "Thank you for letting me know you will be coming on Saturday." and
especially "Thank you for letting me know you can't come this weekend -is
there another day I can schedule you for?"  Why "especially" for that last
one?  Because some people may feel bad about canceling and be reluctant to
call.

>On the average, the female helpers spend more time "playing" with the
>ferrets and "cuddling" them than cleaning the crap out of litter pans and
>washing cages and utensils.

That's our maternal instincts kicking in!   It's not a bug, it's a
feature. :-)  I've noticed that many jobs involving working with animals
have a high percentage of females for that very reason.  Interacting with
the ferrets is important, especially in a large shelter where the contact
with humans may be limited.  Make it clear to the volunteers that they are
expected to get the cleaning, etc., done though!  Don't discourage all
cuddling though-after all, it may well be what attracts some of your
volunteers.

>Plus the fact they are too weak to lift a bucket full of ferret waste or
>lift a bag of fresh cat litter.

Well, your milage may vary, but...
I spent four summers working at the Bronx Zoo animal rides and two years of
studying agriculture in a very 'hands on' environment.  Lots of shoveling
and lifting heavy things.  Like lifting hay and straw bales and lifting
PEOPLE (yes, adults too!) onto the camels and elephants.  Now I work in an
office and when people mention hesitantly that they might need some
computer equipment moved I just laugh.  I've carried full boxes greenbar
computer boxes up stairs while wearing a straight skirt and high heels.
Forty pound bags o'litter? Heavy stuff doesn't phase me.

Not everyone is used to doing that though, and some people *can't* lift
heavy things, ie, because of back problems.  (Make sure people who do lift
the heavy stuff do it right-lift from the knees, NOT from the back, or they
may wind up with a  back problem!)  Consider using smaller poop buckets and
having them emptied onto one on wheels that can moved easily.  Or just put
the larger bucket on a dolly so it's easier to move.

>If there are two or more here they are BS-ing most of the time & they
>eventually both try to do less than the other one.

Volunteers need to be managed just like a paid employee would be.  Don't be
afraid to remind them that it's time to get back to work.

>Once they are bitten by a ferret, they become so gun-shy (or should I say
>"ferret-shy") that they are apprehensive & become essentially useless and
>somebody else must remove and replace any given ferret before any more
>meaningful work is done.

Volunteers-even ferret savy ones, should be reminded that when you go into
a ferrets cage, you are entering *it's* territory.  Known nippers/biters
should have their cages marked to warn the volunteers.  And one simple way
to reduce problems is to remind people in training to avoid getting between
an animal and it's food.  If a bowl of food is being put in or taken out,
keep the bowl betwen your hand and the ferret.

>The disadvantage of the male helpers is they break things more often.
>Might want to invest in plastic or stainless steel bowls rather than
>ceramic ones.  I'm not sure what else they'd break-maybe litter scoops?

>And, the guys leave the floor really dirty with walked on ferret
>poop and spilled debris from the cages.  They don't always remove their
>shoes when going upstairs, walking on the gold-colored carpet, going to
>the bathroom.

Try putting up a sign by the entrance/exit as a reminder to remove
shoes/wipe feet!!

>Lastly, and perhaps not too important to some of you, is the liability,

Sadly, this is an all to real concern.  Many of the wildlife rehabers
around here just don't take on volunteers for that reason along.  I'd
check with a lawyer before having people sign a waiver-it might not hold up
in court.  Check with your insurance company to make sure you're coverd.
If you're not, ask if you can get a rider to cover you-the quote won't
cost you anything and it might be a lot less than you think.

-Ilena Ayala