From:
Big Dave from the Enclave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 23:58:23 -0700
Using an epoxy other than a latex one could be more of a hassle than a
help in certain situations.  First most epoxies in general are designed
to be very hard cured finishes, on a flexible surface this can mean the
epoxies will delaminate or "pop" off the surface with any movement.  Any
oil, or alkyd finishes on a galvanised surface with result in eventual
saponification which is the result of a reaction between the zinc and the
alkali.  If you use expoxies especially solvent based epoxies make sure
you allow sufficient "gassing" time for the solvents to gas out of the
finishes film.  I once saw the result of a bird bath painted with an
epoxy, dead birds all around the house.  If it is a one part epoxy it's
just fancy paint.  I would suggest a DTM or Direct to Metal finishes
after the rust has been treated with the fore mentioned products and
sanded to a smooth surface.  DTM's are normally modified acrylic paints
that are expensive but pretty much harmless.

As for those darn monkeys......I had a very negative encounter with a
service monkey at a newstand in Brunswick, ME.  I was admiring this cute
little monkey that was being trained to help handicapable people when it
suddenly jump on me and sank it's canines into my right shoulder.  Boy
did it hurt.  I swore the rest of my days to irradicating every primate
from the face of the planet, well okay that's not really true but I see
monkeys for what they truly are, wild animals.