From:
Jason and Cheryl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:17:07 -0700
I wrote a short while ago about our boy Jack who has become anemic.  Well
sure enough the vet tested him, and he was very low..  on the verge of
needing blood transfusion.  We now have him on Iron supplement and have
for the last week, but to no avail.  I have been finger feeding him Duck
Soup every time he will take any..  but at our last visit to the vet,
yesterday, he has gone from 1.6 to 1.1.

Our regular Vet is away but the temp is very nice even though she is not
overly Ferret knowledgeable.  She did call our regular vet to inquire
what she though, and what with her not being able to draw blood from
Jack, (she cant get a vein), she says we will need to Xray and then
possibly to explorative surgery.  Sadly Jack isnt a very good candidate
for surgery, as he's so anemic.

Currently all Jack really does is eat and sleep..  His trips to the
litter box interspersed between the two.

Does anyone know anything about Ferret blood donating??  I have a couple
big boys that might be able..  and I know nothing about the blood types
or if that is something I need to worry about.  Im also wondering if
anyone might be able to suggest how and where is best to draw blood from
a sick ferret like Jack.  Any assistance a all is much appreciated..
suggestions on things to look and watch for..  whatever.

Im hoping to get Jack to the Vet again in a week as soon as I can..  even
if it is only for his x-rays.

Worried in Canada with a sick sleeping baby in her arms,

Cheryl