From:
"Kristen A. Larson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 11:19:46 -0400
Hello all!  I am currently in the process of moving, therefore, haven't been
logged in for quite some time.  My friend was nice enough to subscribe to
the fml for me so here I go.  I have a couple of questions concerning my
little one year old boy, Norman (psycho Norm).  A little background: I
adopted him in March and he had just gotten neutered a week before I got
him.  He isn't descented and is just loads of fun to play with.  Two
questions: He tends to release his scent (stinky) a considerable amount when
using the litter box.  It mainly happens when he does #2.  Other times I
have noticed that sometimes while he is sleeping he'll release odor
also...scary dream perhaps?  Is this normal for the non- descented guys to
release their odor this much?  It doesn't bother me smell wise, but I was
just concerned about it.  Second question: getting back to neutering- Normie
loves to rub his belly and so forth over objects like shoes etc.  I would
imagine that he is marking his territory, however, my other male, Gizmo, who
was neutered at a younger age, doesn't do this.  Is it normal for Norm to do
this all of the time?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

About litters...I am trying to get away from the clay litters and cannot for
the life of me find Pine Fresh or the compressed woodstove pellets that
someone mentioned a while ago.  I am in Maryland and have looked at many
places...I just get weird looks.  Right now I am using Carefresh which is
okay, but I have heard wonderful things about the litters I just mentioned.

Well, it's nice to get back into the fml once again and I hope to be on it
permanently when I move to Aberdeen, Maryland. I hope everyone and their
rugratts are doing great!

Melanie and the gang (Maggie, Gizmo, & Norman)

P.S. I forgot to mention something so here it is.  Norm has been scratching
the back of his neck due to fleas and has lost some hair in that area.  Last
Friday I noticed that he has a bump the size of a dime right between his
ferret shoulder blades.  I thought it was a skin tumor, but then again it
just appeared lastweek.  Tumors I would assume, start off small and get
larger and it takes time for this to happen.  Has anyone elses ferret
developed anything like this.  Norm doesn't have many fleas on his body, but
I suppose one little pesty flea could drive anyone bonkers.  Normie could be
allergic to them I suppose.  I would love any input on the matter.
Thanks.
Melanie and the gang.