From:
James Beasey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 1995 13:33:24 +0000
    I moved into my new apartment this summer.  I brought Lysis and put his
cage in my room.  Allowing him to roam my room, I set about to clean the
carpets in the living room.  Apparently, the owners before us had a dog.
Not just a dog, but a nasty claw the walls, pee on the floor, untrained (and
probably unloved as well) dog.  I hope it now has a better home.  However,
while cleaning everything up, it never even dawned on me that with dogs come
fleas -- especially in TX.  They found Lysis...by the dozens.  I realize
that many of you have stated the evils of over-the-counter flea products.  I
wanted to share my experience with you for comparison.
    I went to our handy dandy Super Kmart at 3am.  (yah...college kids
sleep...but not if there's something open in the city) I immediately got a
product made by Sergeant's -- flea foam and comb for cats.  This is a bottle
that is like shaving cream.  You spray it in your hand, smooth it on the
fleas on your pet.  (I avoid mouth areas, and eyes of course) The fleas die
almost immediately, the foam smells wonderfully clean, and does not hurt the
fur/skin of your little monster.  Ok, so it's easy and clean, and Lysis is
now happy.  But one MAJOR point that is great about this stuff: since Lysis
then had dead fleas in his fur (which you can't leave there obviously), I
turned him over and began picking them out of his fur by hand.  Now I KNOW
you're wondering why this is a "great" thing.  Because when I was done, he
had seen his master (????) grooming him by hand.  When finished, he didn't
run off and play.  He stayed right there, beside me, licking my ears and
neck.  I imagine it is something like what a mother would have done, licking
the baby ferrets and so forth.  But from that night forward, if I put him in
my hands and scruff his fur and pull gently on it he will lay back and then
give me many kisses.

BZ