From:
"Bryan P. Coffey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 07:08:53 -0400
Chapter 8 - News From Across A Sea

One day while sitting above the wheelhouse watching the sea birds, an
especially large bird crash-landed near him.  He jumped and got into a
fighting crouch.  Each wing on this bird was as long as a human, but the
bird was having an especially hard time standing up.

After a few moments the bird got it's feet under it and stood up.
"Hello" said the bird.  "I haven't seen a ship in a long time."

"You know about human ships?" asked Christofert.  All of the animals on
this island were surprised by appearance of the human ship.  They had
only seen Indians in small canoes before.

"Of course I have seen them, but a long way from here.  But I haven't
seen one of you before.  What are you?"

"I'm a ferret." replied Christofert testily.  "What are you?  You're a
funny looking bird.  You are different from the birds around here and in
Europe."

"I'm an albatross.  I came from across these islands and further.  Beyond
the big land there is another ocean like this one.  That is where I am
from.  I'm an adventurer.  I'm going to fly all the way around the world!"

"Me too!" said Christofert.  "Well, not fly actually, but sail and walk
around the world.  We sailed almost all the way around the world.  The
men are going to sail back across the ocean in a few days to return
home, but I'll continue on."

The albatross laughed.  "There are TWO Great Oceans.  You have only
sailed part way around the world."

Christofert was shocked.  He though he had almost reached China, but he
was only half way.  And Columbus was going back!  He didn't think he
would ever reach China.  He was a bit depressed now, but continued his
conversation with the albatross.  They talked about their different
adventures.  Christofert paid particular attention to what lay ahead.
The more he heard, the more he realized that there was no way a
flightless ferret could travel to China.  Even though he had made that
mighty jump to save the ship, he knew he couldn't fly.  Well, at least
not THAT far.

After the two talked for awhile, the albatross flew off in an easterly
direction to continue his journey.  Christofert went below decks to look
at the maps and globes that Columbus has rescued from the Santa Maria.
He wasn't as good with maps as his brother Bartholofert, but he at least
understood them a bit.  He looked at the globe, and in his mind updated
it to include a large landmass right in the middle of the ocean.  He
pictured himself on that continent, and a large ocean on either side to
cross.  He knew he couldn't swim that far.  He sat and thought and
thought.  There had to be another way to reach China.  Then it dawned on
him!

(to be continued)

            Bryan P. Coffey - Boston, MA
      Weasel Warriors - Albi, Esef, Merri, and Mint
        http://www.gis.net/~bpcoffey/furball.html