From:
Lyn Tablas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 21:00:30 -0500
We have a skunk that was a rescue.  He is not domestic, he was "found" as a
tiny baby and when he became too much for the family to handle, he came to
us - still only 3 months old.  Domestic ferrets & skunks have been BRED
domestic for decades.  They are nothing like their wild family members.
Although Ethan has been raised by humans since before his eyes were open, he
isn't domestic and lets us know it.He can be loving and cuddly one minute
and fiercly attack and bite the next.  He doesn't let go when he bites and
he bites to the bone.We can never let our children handle him and we never
let him near visitors or my step-children.I wish he could have been released
when we got him, but there was no way.  He would have died.I would think
minks would be the same way.  They just aren't ready, species-wise, to be
considered pets.  I love Ethan dearly, but I can never trust him and my
husband does all of the handling of him.  I dread our necessary vet visit in
July, because our usual vet has moved away and this year Ethan will be an
adult, not the sweet baby he was.  I would think long & hard about getting a
"non-domestic" animal for a pet!