From:
Kimberly Tabickman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:11:31 -0700
Thanks for the response to my questions about the Cat Chow addicted Puff.
Still trying to get him to change his mind.

I've noticed that people seem to exhibit guilt about buying animals from pet
stores, not just in this group- but also in the other animal newsgroups and
such that I read.  Why is it so politically incorrect to obtain your pet
from a pet store?  Certainly if I got another dog or cat I would adopt from
a shelter but if you want an exotic this option is not always available.  I
would probably prefer to buy a ferret from a small breeder simply because
you have the opportunity to inspect their operation and can assure yourself
that the animals are healthy and well cared for, but I know of no small
breeders in my area.  I've seen well run pet stores and crummy ones.  I
wouldn't patronize the crummy ones.  But for every store with neglected
animals there are many more who put a great deal of time into caring for
their animals.  Why feel guilty about buying from one of these?  Just
wondering.  If I am totally off the mark and there happens to be a VERY good
reason not to buy from stores I'm sure someone will let me know.

Someone posted here a few days ago about a white ferret at the Atlanta
humane society.  They haven't written anything else so I thought I'd post
about it for anyone in Atlanta whose interest was piqued.  I called the HS
and they assured me that the ferret would be with them for awhile in order
to give the owner every opportunity to find it.  They also assured me that
the ferret would not be euthanized, they would find a home for it if the
owner didn't show up.  I expressed an interest in coming to meet it if it
became available for adoption, but they said they do not offer exotics for
adoption to the general public.  He wouldn't tell me exactly how they go
about placing these animals.  In fact the more I asked about the little
critter the more suspicious he became (how exactly did you hear about this
ferret?).  Well geez, excuse me for actually being interested!

About the flea thing, a friend of mine who is very chemical-intolerant used
to sprinkle salt (the regular table kind, non-iodized) on her carpets to
control them.  She says it works.  Also inexpensive and harmless.

Kim