From:
Klemens Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2008 13:23:59 -0700
I've been trying to find the letter to no avail here, but I know I saw
online copies of letters from representatives from the poultry industry
stating they had no problem with the legalization of ferrets, I can't
remember when but it probably was on Jeanne Carley's legalization
website. I could only find a copy of a bill analysis from 1984 where
the California Poultry Industry Federation signed in support of the
bill legalizing ferrets which did not pass. Maybe someone else has
knowledge of the letters and could let us know.

California's problem mainly lies with the Department of Fish and Game:

http://www.ferretsanonymous.com/archives/legal/misrepresentation.html

http://www.ferretsanonymous.com/archives/legal/hysteria.html

http://www.ferretsanonymous.com/archives/legal/fg_knowledge.html

<http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/species/nuis_exo/ferret/ferret_issues_4.html>

I also found a newsletter that states Marshall farms filed suit to
overturn the ban and they lost - page 3 bottom of middle column:
http://www.goldenstateferretsociety.org/pdfs/september2001.pdf

I swear someone at Fish and Game was bit as a kid and that's how this
all started.

Tracy