From:
The Weyr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:08:11 -0700
Hi Kim,

I'm in the same situation with the ferrets you are, over populated, out
of room, out of time, out of money and additionally having a serious
health threat looming.

When a 'ferret person' came to me about 9 months ago for help, I had
to get creative. This woman had lost her husband, job, and home, had 3
kids, 5 ferrets and was living on a friends couch. All the ferrets were
5-7 years old and had not seen a vet in years. Needless to say they all
had significant health issues. If they had gone any where else, they'd
have been put down.

So I talked with one of my foster Moms and she agreed to take them in
until the woman could get back on her feet. I provided their food and
litter, and I took care of their medical necessities, she provided the
labor and the love.

As I'm sure you realize, when we are feeding 20 ferrets, we hardly
notice another mouth or two consumption wise. It was cheaper for me
to provide a temporary home for them than to take them in, and for
once there is a ferret story with a happy ending. The owner, just this
weekend, has finally gotten herself back into her own place, gotten a
car and found a second job. We are only a few weeks from returning her
ferrets to her.

Maybe something like this will enable you to help more without totally
depleting yourself.

Brenda,
Momma to the FurpeopleWeyr
FurpeopleWeyr.com