From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:12:38 -0400
This is about the safety of the waterbed, not the ferrets romping in it.

I've had waterbeds for 18 years, ferrets for 8.  It took a while, but they
co-exist safely and dryly now.  The key is mattress pads and bottom sheets
that tuck in ALL the way around the waterbed, preferably with elastic all
the way around too.  These kinds of sheets and mattress pads may be more
expensive, but it's well worth it.  Ferrets like to chew on the vinyl of
the mattress, and if they don't see/smell it, they won't chew on it!

If you can't find these types of bedding, use two large size flat sheets
placed crosswise, one at the top and one at the bottom.  Tuck in as far
as possible.

Pinprick holes, such as those caused by sharp ferret canines, can usually
be patched easily with a vinyl or waterbed repair kit.  Even if the holes
are in the corner, where you can't place a patch, a 2 or 3 layers of the
glue (we use Household Goop) will work well.  Let each layer dry completely
before adding another.  Thin layers are less likely to peel off and start
leaking again.

Linda Iroff
who loves the warm and softness of her ferrets and her waterbed!
Oberlin OH