From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:37:36 -0500
Melissa:

Knowing that the vets can't always respond that quickly, I'll do my best to
give you what I know about cardio.

The symptoms you describe sound like they might be cardio.  However, keep in
mind that older ferrets do develop enlarged spleens for whatever reason, and
that may be why Potpie's tummy got so big.  If it feels like there's fluid
in there though, that's a problem.

The "sore throat" sounds you refer to can indicate a variety of things as
well.  No matter what, I would have your vet take a good look at Potpie --
maybe move her physical up a couple months.

The way that vets usually detect cardio is through two means: by listening
to the heart and lungs with a stethoscope, and through Xrays.  Generally,
upon listening to the heart, a murmur will be detected, which is the first
indication of cardio.  Xrays should then be taken to detect how much the
heart has enlarged, and whether the lungs have any fluid in them or not.

IT'S CRITICAL that you get Potpie looked at asap. The reason so many
ferrets die of cardio is because they wait way too long to see the vet. I
don't think you're overprotective at all; you're just a ferret mommy who
cares for her fuzzbutts.

If you need any more info or would like to discuss it further, email me or
call me at 703-922-2073 (p.m.)

As an aside, the reason I'm sort of an "expert" is because I have a 5 1/2
y.o. MF ferret who was diagnosed only a year ago with cardio and given four
to six months.  She's still with us and as feisty as ever.  At this rate the
vet said she could last another YEAR or two.  But it was early intervention
and monthly trips to the vet that's got her so stable.

Oh, and as far as adrenal goes, if Potpie's only got hair loss on her tail,
I wouldn't worry about adrenal.  If it starts going up her back then you may
have a problem.  And, the ferret discussed above was going in for adrenal
surgery when the cardio was discovered, and after much discussion, the vet
and I decided to do the surgery.  It was the absolutely best decision I made.

Amy & Dave (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian and Elektra