From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:57:23 -0500
The ability to remember past events is an important element of
intelligence, and ferrets have an almost elephantine memory.  A good
memory is vital for ferrets to have high learning-set scores, and
even more vital for wild polecats to survive in a complex forested
environment.  Tui, shown here when less than a year old, loved an
enrichment program where I would put small treats inside boxes, garden
pots, and baskets.  I discontinued the enrichment for several years once
I realized it was no longer an enrichment, but more of a treat-feeding
station.  About a year ago, I tried the enrichment again, hoping it would
seen new, but Tui and others immediately ran from box to box gobbling up
the treats as fast as I could sit the containers down.  There was no
doubt the enrichment was remembered from years before.

http://homepage.mac.com/billgruber/fml/tuimem.html

Bob C