From:
"Frances I. Wiles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 1996 02:00:24 -0400
Hi, this is Fran Wiles of Fran's Ferret Rescue & Adoption in PA.  Some of
you probably know me, some don't, or maybe just have heard of my name.  I
moved to PA from MD in July of 1995.  I have been owned by ferrets since
1988, & have had a rescue/shelter operation since 1992.  I have just been
observing the FML for a couple days to see if I knew anybody & was surprised
to see lots of familiar names.  I'm really new to "the net", so I'm
stumbling around trying to find my way.

I am the shelter sub-committee chairperson for the American Ferret Assn.
based out of Frederick, MD, & am also the VP for our local ferret club, the
Central MD Ferret Fanciers.  I maintain the shelter list for AFA's Web Site,
as well as for AFR (bi-monthly newsletter of AFA).  I currently have about a
half dozen fuzzies for adoption.  In all, numbers here at the shelter
(including my own, senior citizens, health/personality problem ferrets, &
adoptables) stays around 30 with the average being around 40.  Just think,
when I cut ferrets nails, I don't have just 20 nails to cut, I have 40 times
20 (just thought I'd throw that in to get a chuckle out of somebody).  I
don't live in a metropolitan area, & often I take in more ferrets than there
are demands for new homes.  But the fuzzies all have a "home" as long as I
have the strength & endurance to provide.

I have set up my shelter in the entire basement of my home, leaving nothing
to the ferret lover's imagination.  We have four play areas (complete with
tunnels, bags, toys, etc.), soon to be five as we are building another.  The
enclosures are 8'l x 6'w x 2'h with linoleum flooring & all ferret
essentials.  Each group or individual is given free time in an enclosure
daily.  The last news reporter that came over from the local newspaper
described my basement as "a ferret's disneyland".  We just care alot & only
want the best for the little ones.  I'm a fussbucket when it comes to
adopting out my "kids".  I always go with my gut feeling - better safe than
sorry when it comes to the adoption process.  Each adoptee & adopter are
unique, & placements are made only in the best interest of both parties.

Well, just thought I'd jump in & let you know I'm here.  If I can help,
either post me here or e-mail me direct.  As with the other shelter
operators that are already here, I can usually guide folks in the right
direction when they need help.  Looking forward to hearing from everyone.