From:
Ferrets at Heart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2014 05:14:01 -0400
We regret to announce the closing of Ferrets at Heart in Franklin, NC.
After attempting a restructure and altering our focus to a foster
network, we have still been unable to bring in enough funds to assure
the wellbeing of future ferrets in our care. As of May 19, 2014, our
website will be taken down, and we ask that you remove our entry from
any shelter list of which you are aware.

After more than five years of operation in Ohio and North Carolina,
we have so many people we are thankful for. You made life easier for
shelter workers, our vets, and our ferret family. May God bless you
all.

A special thanks to:

Sukie Crandall
Sharon Bearden & SOS
Laurie & Jane Schubert
Anna, Adam, & Alex Smith
Kathie Hicks
Toni Tilly
Deb Benson
Douds Veterinary Hospital, Oberlin, OH
Susan Baker
Debi Sadowski
Angela Showalter
Jim & Linda Morgan
Linda Proulx
Katie Karr
Melissa Bell
Leslie Hill
Florence Love
Wolfy
Nancy Busso
Alexandra in MA
Angela Nieswenter
Heather Pittman
Marsha Stanek
Janice Mansfield
Karen Bunnell
Rose German
Sue Pyron
Jasmine Becket-Griffith
Lenzo Animal Hospital, Franklin, NC
Ken Parker
Brittany Mills
Nancy Parks
Pat Shaskin
Cathy Mallette
Ann Church
Renee at Golden Stone Graphics
Hyper-Fur
Ferrets with Soul
FurpeopleWeyr
Kindness Matters
My FML family
The Rainbow Bridge greeters
Our volunteers
All who sent supplies or offered advice during our battle with ECE in
2012
All our santas (2010-2013)
Raffle ticket purchasers or prize donors
Every adopt-a-ferret forever-home person
Shelter donors (financially or supplies)
Shoppers at our online store
Anyone I missed (because I'm only human, and my old computer ate
many of my contacts/records)

During the next two weeks, one more link will be posted in a few ferret
Facebook groups mentioning donations. This will be our usual monthly
percentage kickback from Amazon. If USA customers place an order at
Amazon through one of those links, Ferrets at Heart will receive 4%
to 10% of the total value of the items you pay for at checkout.

Alternatively, you can use this link "anytime," because they never
expire, and I will continue to feed/house/vet our remaining ferrets
partially through marketing freelance work (i.e., these links) even
after there isn't a Ferrets at Heart.

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/site-directory/?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393193&linkCode=shr&tag=ferrathear-20>

Freelance jobs are not easy to come by, but neither is a 9-to-5. I've
been building a local and national clientele of indie authors and small
publishers for my marketing/PR services -- book blogs, guestblogs, book
reviews, giveaways, marketing evaluations, social network campaigns,
etc. When I'm not doing that, I'm writing for industry blogs or
creating jewelry for art galleries. It may seem like a lot, but the
time it takes to find a brief freelance job is most often a long and
drawn-out process. And, to be honest, the only outside support I was
able to get for the kids in addition to my employment in the last
eighteen months amounted to a bit less than three-hundred dollars,
which includes donated melatonin implants last month (Thank you santas,
friends, and SOS.).

So, I'm back to just being a ferret owner now (if it counts that I've
sort of got kids in fosterage). I cry, because I don't have whiskers on
my toes each morning and inquisitive noses helping me get dressed. I
feel like I've lost another chunk of my heart -- first Mom; then, my
husband; next, my grandfather; now, my calling. But, I can't call our
loose-knit group a "rescue," when we don't now have -- and can't see
that we will have - money, room, or time to devote to any new babies.

Please use the links in my signature to contact me from now on. The
ferretsatheart.com email addresses will become inactive soon.

With respect,

Lori Parker
Ferrets at Heart -- Closing May 19, 2014 -- 5 yr., 2 mo.
Missing: More babies than I can count

Freelance marketing, blog tours, social network campaigns,
guestblogs, & Braille tutoring
Honest book reviews with respectful criticism
53 Green Vale Lane
Franklin, NC 28734
828-332-2013

Where I brag on books & write other nifty things:
Amazon (Top Reviewer Rank of 4,796/20mil as of 5/12/14):
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/site-directory/?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393193&linkCode=shr&tag=ferrathear-20>
Word of the Nerd Online (Staff Writer in SF&F):
http://www.wordofthenerdonline.com/author/lorip/

Let's keep in touch:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookwormPOV
FB: https://www.facebook.com/lori.parker.3538