From:
Trudi Casler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 21:08:01 EST
hi,
my little cachita was just diagnosed dec 19 with insulinoma...her level
was 26...no seizuers...she was just shaking for periods of time...anyhow
she takes .15cc twice a day...

its really easy to do this...and any vet that thinks you can hide
prenisone in food is stupid...do you know how nasty that stuff is?  its
absolutely horrible...myself and my children can attest to that...

so here is what we do...you crush the pill in a pill crusher...not with a
spoon (cause pieces can go flying)...so get a pill crusher they are about
3 to 5 dollars (at walmart)...anyway get a 1cc syringe from the vet...

so now tat you have crushed the pill you add 1 cc of liquad to the crushed
pill...mix well...if i were you i'd use something like apple cider or
apple juice...water is too horrible...then i draw up .15cc into the
syringe and give her dose to her...this mixture lasts 3 to 4 doses for
her... she gets it twice a day (every 12 hours)...now i dont know how much
your ferret is suppose to get but your vet should be able to tell you how
much liquad to add...if your crushed pill is like chachitas dose than add
1cc if not you will have to figure it out..sorry if i sound confusing...if
you have any questions please email me...you can also tell me exactaly the
dose and i can call my vet here and ask how much liquad to add...as you
know surgery will not cure the ferret but hopefully will add a comfortable
life...

anyhow i went to a vet that also is a holistic vet...and i put chachita
on some supplements..i also had to RAISE HER protein intake...so all you
do is boil chicken (boneless chicken breasts) and then throw iot in the
blender...put on top of their food...in the morning you need to fed the
ferret a high protein mixture..heres what i do..i take baby food (turkey,
ham, or beef)...dump it onto a plate and add the chicken to it till its
like a paste..you can add apple juice to make it not so thick..anyway then
i repack the jar (cause you have to use it in two days...at least thats
what the jar says) and i just pull out what i know she will eat...i warm
it up...i give her her predisone then i give her chicken mixture...i do
this first thing in the morning...and shes suppose to get it another 5
times..ending with her nightime dosage right before you go to bed...the
point is to keep her protein level intake high...no sugar treats of any
kind anymore...as far as petromalt goes if the ferret crashes after you
give the petromalt then dont give petromalt anymore...so far chachita
hasnt done that....anyhow sorry this was long winded but this is what i
have learned so far now...

take care,
trudie c