From:
Carla Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 02:53:30 -0500
Feb. 95 I had two ferrets, Litje (N/D MF male, 11 mos. 2.5 lbs, prone to
allergies/bronchitis) and Turlough (N/D MF male, 7 mos. 3.0 lbs) One evening
I handled a kit in a pet store, which was in with another kit that had loose
stools.  3 days later there was a puddle of lime green diarrhea in my guys'
litterpan, and both were slightly subdued.  Still having diarrhea later that
afternoon, so  Dr. Klein figured I carried something home from the kits, &
was possibly coccidia or giardia.  She put them on Albon, 0.5ml 2x daily.
After a couple of days, the stools were more brown than green, but still
varied between loose and diarrhea.  Appetite and activity were both subdued,
slight dehydration.  When the problem had not cleared sufficiently after 1
week, Dr Klein switched them to Flagyl, 30mg 2x daily.  The reaction was
almost instant; within 2 days their stool was firming up, appetite was
increasing, and the occasional green tint in the stool was almost gone.
After Litje and Turlough completed 7 days on the Flagyl, a friend gave me
his two ferrets - timing wasn't great, but his wife didn't like them.  Gaoth
(S/D female, unkn breeder, 5-6 mos, 1.0 lb) and Cyrex (N/D male, unkn
breeder, 2?  years, 2.25 lbs) Both developed green diarrhea 3 days later,
and Litje and Turlough started again (though not as severe) a couple days
after.  All 4 were put on Flagyl.  Litje, Turlough and Gaoth responded more
quickly than Cyrex, but after 10 days on Flagyl all were symptom free,
within 1 more week seemed completely recovered.

BTW, the diarrhea was not preceded by any coughing or gagging.  If there had
been any vomiting, it would have to have been at night when they weren't
observed, but I never found any evidence of it in the cages.  Cyrex was
given to a friend who needed a playmate for her ferret Gigi.  After he
finished his Flagyl, and remained symptom free for several days, he was
taken over to his new home.  They were quarantined from each other for 1
week, then allowed to meet.  Gigi remains symptom free (she had never been
sick in her life at all), and Cyrex never relapsed.  Litje, Turlough and
Gaoth still had an occasional green tint to their stool for a few months,
but no more green diarrhea.

In Oct '95 I 'rescued' Quidni (S/D, female, 1 yr old, unkn.  breeder, 1.75
lbs) She was not in the greatest condition when I got her - dry & brittle
coat, poor muscletone, chapped pads and afraid of everything.  I had
recently learned about ECE, and was concerned that this was what my guys had
fought earlier; I expected Quidni to develop the symptoms.  She had 2 loose
stools the first month, but no real diarrhea, and nothing green.  I do not
think she ever had ECE, or any other major illness; her first owners would
have probably gotten rid of her a lot sooner if she had.

My question - does this sound more like possible ECE (which we'd never heard
of at the time) or like something else?  If ECE, why didn't Gigi or Quidni
develop symptoms?  Could it have been giardia (it was going around town with
people at the time) because it responded so well to Flagyl?  Dr Klein didn't
do bloodwork, since they did respond so quickly to the Flagyl.  What are the
most likely possiblities?  This is a "Need to Know" question, since we are
starting a club and ferret interaction is not only likely, but practically
mandated.

Many thanks in advance for your opinions.  My vet has appreciated the input,
also - not just the treatment protocols, but also the "IMHO"-type experience
and opinions - any answers to my ??  here will be passed on also.

Blessings,
Carla & the Woozlemaniacs