From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:52:50 EST
I've been trying to avoid jumping into the flurry of posts regarding this
topic, but here I am!!

I have a question to anyone criticizing the standards any shelter utilizes
in placing THEIR fuzzies in potential homes.  What questions would you ask
a potential daycare provider for your children (or your fuzzies if you go
on a long vacation)???  I tend to believe that every caring parent (be the
child a two or four legged living, feeling, needing creature), would
question a potential caregiver at great lengths.  How about picking a vet
for your ferret, would you go to just any vet who states they take care of
ferrets.  Shame on you if you would!  I recently moved and I thoroughly
checked out my new vet, asked for references of past and current ferret
owners, the volume and extent of ferret care he provides and his referral
vets for extreme or unusual cases.  I would never just accept a vet's word
that they are highly qualified and can provide the best care for my
fuzzies.  So if we go to these lengths to protect our ferrets, why would
anyone question a shelter operator trying to protect the fuzzies in their
care???

Adoption is a privilege and not a right, there must be certain guidelines
that are to be met, regardless of who or what is being adopted!  Every
ferret in a shelter is there for the same reason - the owner could not
provide for that animal, regardless of why, bottom line is still the same.
If shelters placed a fuzz with whomever walked in the door, everyone
questionning them now would be screaming that the shelters are not doing
the ferrets justice.

I've adopted from 3 different rescues/shelters - I am completely open about
my life, home, financial situation, etc.  I encourage them to be positive
that any home, including my own with a young child, that a rescue or
shelter ferret is placed in will be a lifelong home.  If that means the
ferret needs to wait a little longer until the right home is found, so be
it.  The alternative of being bounced around is much more damaging and
cruel.

I'm not a shelter operator, but have been involved in a few rescues and
placements.  I admire the work that people like Kim Rushing and Kym Barone
do with tremendous respect and awe.  And if those shelter operators feel a
home is not quite what the ferret needs, my bet is that they are correct.

Anyone who feels otherwise should try walking in their shoes for a short
time, try helping out.  Experience the disappointment when a happy healthy
fuzz is adopted out and later comes back underweight and frightened.
Experience that just one time and then decide how strict adoption policies
should be.

Just my two cents.

Hugs to all the shelter fuzzies and their temporary moms and dads.

Jen and Gang