From:
Mary Frerich-Kulesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:15:19 EDT
>From:    Jason Porta  <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I understand de scenting is in the same realm of cruelty as de clawing
>and de fanging, but why do some vets and some information sites suggest
>de scenting to avoid bad smells and avoid infection?  I don't plan on
>de scenting my ferret, I know the facts, but I'm just curious, why do
>these veterinarians say such things if it's so bad?

I'm not a vet or vet tech, so what I know is from experience.  I recently
had a post about my Tiny girl undergoing surgery for either ovarian
remnants or adrenal disease.  It turned out to be adrenal disease and
the gland was removed successfully.  But.....while being treated with
antibiotics for an infection, Tiny developed a large cyst on her right
scent glad.  She has both scent glands still.  At the time of surgery,
they opened the cyst and drained it and continued her on antibiotics.
Now, just a few weeks after her surgery, the scent gland is once again
enlarged, causing her pain and discomfort, and has finally opened and
drained.  I personally don't feel that de-scenting the kids is abusive
or cruel, but if you keep them in the home, it's a necessary thing.  Plus
I feel that if its done at a young enough age (older than 8 weeks), the
ferret will not miss poofing, since I've learned they only poof when they
are scared or surprised.  We have at least 2 with scent glands and I they
were much younger, I would have them removed.

Tweaky Update:
Tweaky is doing better, he still isn't very strong and not eating a lot,
but we're fighting with him to get him to eat his duck soup, ferretone,
ferretvite, medications, etc..Our little guy won't even try to eat his
favorite treats We did find out that there was quite a bit of bleeding
from the Vena Cava during surgery, which is what I feared had happened.
The vet took him home with him for the weekend ande said that he had a
really rough weekend, but started picking up Sunday afternoon.  He hates
not being in with his fuzzy friends, but we won't even consider putting
him in with them until he has his stitches removed and is eating better.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.  His surgery was one week
ago today.

Mary