From:
"Bryan P. Coffey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 10:23:04 -0400
Chapter 15 - Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Looking across the river, Christofert was surprised at its size.
Downstream he could see a waterfall and steep walled gorge.  He knew he
couldn't cross in that direction, so he started to walk upstream.  He
stayed far enough away from the river, careful to not fall in.  After
walking for a short while, he saw a person rowing a small boat on the
river.  He was rowing upstream, but wasn't actually getting there because
of the current.  It seemed pretty pointless, so Christofert assumed that
it was not a demon rowing the boat.

"Hallo!" he called out "Could you please help me?"

The rower, paused for a moment, then angled his boat so that he was soon
rowing upstream just a few feet from shore.  "Hello, you must be the
living soul that is travelling through Hades." began the man.  "Word
among the dead is that you are worth assisting.  My name is Odysseus, and
I am at your service.  What can I help you with?"

"I need to cross the river." replied Christofert.

"That's no problem." said Odysseus.  "You wait right there and I'll get
you on board."  Odysseus then gave a couple of mighty pulls on the oars
and shot upstream a few paces.  He quickly shipped the oars and began to
drift back downstream.  As he passed Christofert, he reached out and
plucked Christofert off the shore.  He quickly set Christofert on the
other seat and grabbed the oars and continued to row back out to the
center of the river.  "Out here," Odysseus began "we can talk for awhile
uninterrupted.  I knew you were about, but I don't know any details.  Do
you mind telling me your story?  It's kind of boring out here."

Christofert replied that he didn't, and soon he was telling Odysseus all
about his adventures.  It seemed only polite since he needed help.
After he was finished he asked Odysseus why he kept rowing to nowhere.

"Well, it's my curse." said Odysseus.  "I lost all of my crew while
travelling by boat, and now I have to travel by boat forever.  I can't
seem to get out of this rowboat.  If I stop rowing, I drift down the
river then go over the falls.  I get hurt pretty badly, then I am
magically back here.  Either I keep rowing, or I get washed over the
falls again and again.  It's not too hard, but it is really boring.
Thanks for entertaining me.  I'll take you across the river, but first I
think I might be able to teach you a few things that will make the rest
of your trip useful."

(to be continued)

            Bryan P. Coffey - Boston, MA
      Weasel Warriors - Albi, Esef, Merri, and Mint
        http://www.gis.net/~bpcoffey/furball.html