From:
Deb Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:21:31 -0500
Well said Lorraine of Mustela Canada, and to the many others who have
stated the same thing on this FML.

Our association chooses to work with pet stores; not against them.  We set
up our Information Booth anywhere we can - malls, vet clinics, pet supply
stores, parks, and pet stores.  For us, each person we reach and EDUCATE,
brings us one step closer to ensuring that people who have ferrets are
providing proper care, people who were thinking of getting a ferret will
go ahead knowing what they are in for and people who thought they were so
cute, but hadn't a clue will decide not to after finding out more about
them and realizing that they do not fit their lifestyle.  After all, as
wonderful as ferts are, they are not the pet for everyone.  Those
un-informed, impulse buys end up in our shelter several months down the
road!  We can't prevent, job transfers, relationship breakdowns, or even
the "moving to a better apartment", but we can make a difference on impulse
buys.

The pet store employee(s) can become your best ally in the education of
ferrets.  The more people that you have that can speak on behalf of ferrets
the better.  No club or association or shelter can be in all places, every
day of the year.  I think of all the pet store employees that I have met
and spoken to as our secret weapon against misinformation.  Some of them
don't even realize that they have been recruited!!!

And yes sometimes, it feels like the mountain top keeps getting further
away - no sooner do you have a well informed staff at your local pet store,
then they move on and you have to start all over again.  But, the person
who moved on; whether they went on to work at another pet store or anywhere
else, will not forget what they learnt and will be able to speak up should
the need arise.

Not all pet store provide the proper care, not all pet stores have good
staff.  You may not be able to change everything, but even if it is only
one thing, you have still accomplished positive change.  You don't give up,
you bite your tongue and try and find another way to reach out and initiate
positive changes.  You do not throw out the whole barrel of apples because
you came across one or two rotten ones.(Lord, some one take my soap box
away, I'm in full throttle).

Before someone else says it - YES, by being in a pet store handing out
information, ferrets are being bought, so we are technically supporting the
sale of ferrets in the pet store.  Here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada,
there are no small breeders.  You want a ferret, you have to go to a store.
What about our no-kill shelter?  Well, if we aren't in the stores to tell
them all about ferrets AND our shelter, then they won't find out and decide
to drop by later!  Some folks want to start off with a baby and don't see
the gifts an older fert brings with him/her.  But at least they know about
us, and hopefully the next fert they get will come from our shelter.
Sometimes, we have to put folks on a waiting list as our shelter is empty.
Each club, association, geographic location has their own unique
circumstances that they must work with.

Deb Kelley
President, Manitoba Ferret Association
No-Kill Shelter Operator
Owned by:Squeaks & Niles - first ferrets and bought from a pet store
Ivan, Farrah, Rufus, Smudges, Lovey, Zoey & Zack all rescues adopted by
my hubby and I.

Waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge: Willy, Peanut, Max and as of
yesterday, our shelter mascot Mr. one-eyed Jack who was really our Jack of
Hearts and now holds a piece of my heart with him at the Rainbow Bridge