Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 06:42:36 -0800
This is something I am all too familiar with, may I offer my thoughts?

Melissa wrote:
>I am in Southern California and own six ferrets. My husband and I have
>had ferrets for the last six-ish years, and we have yet to have a
>problem. We occasionally take them to the park to play and to Petco
>to see all the pet people and pick out new toys.
>
>It's one of those laws that isn't really enforced until suddenly
>it is.

Melissa, I'm happy you have had no problems. I have seen those that
have though, and the heartbreak is almost unbearable. Imagine your
ferrets being taken from you, put into a animal shelter where the
people know nothing about ferrets, or worse, are afraid of ferrets.

The red tape concerning these ferrets may keep them in this situation
for weeks until they are relocated out of state, if they are.

>Oh, and in today's litigious society, only introduce your ferrets to
>people you trust not to sue you if they get bitten, and keep their
>rabies vaccinations up-to-date.

Excellent advice Melissa, not only for California owners. However,
sometimes a person getting nipped, or even scratched has a concerned
family member or friend that WILL make a report, in California that can
be a huge problem. I know of one case where a ferret bit its owner when
in seizure on the way to the vet. The vet made a report, even though
the ferret had been vaccinated earlier (by him) and was put to sleep
that day. This put the owner and her remaining ferrets at risk.

If you're out at Petco or wherever, don't tell people exactly where
you live.

Melissa, let's pretend someone that *hates* ferrets sees you out and
about with yours. What's to prevent someone from following you home,
then making a report.

These people do exist, I talk with them on occasion when doing
educational events.

My neighbor is such a person, he says he *knew someone that a ferret
ate their babies nose off*. There is no discussion between us, as I
refuse to argue.

His children are delightful, and I would love to let them interact with
my ferrets. I will not though, as I see the writing on the wall.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but I feel I owe all the California
ferrets that have come through our doors. I owe their hoomans that
grieve, and I cannot contact to let them know how their ferret is.

My Jackson is the latest CA victim of *a law that isn't enforced until
suddenly it is*. He lost his hooman, then found another that had a
unfriendly dog.

Jackson was lucky, he was taken to a veterinarian that treated his
wounds, then released him to a humane org. that took care of him.

He only had to stay there two weeks until he was released to me.
Jackson is younger, he did OK.

I have seen the older ones that did not do OK.

I can only imagine the owners NEVER do OK.

Melissa, my heart sang when I read that Zelda had been found, and is
safely back home.

Ardith
Reno, NV
the *out of state*.......state