From:
"Lisa G. Fleischmann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 12:50:09 -0700
Hi!

I got a little carried away with my last post and forgot to add my opinion
on the ferret/baby issue (as my subject heading indicates).

I wouldn't leave any animal unsupervised with a baby, for both the baby's
safety as well as the animal's safety.  Babies can be very scary to animals
and may cause them to react defensively.  Someone suggested giving a child a
rat to hold...well with my experience with rats it is true that they rarely
bite, but those little nails...ouch!:) I do think that animals and children
can get along wonderfully with a little education (for the children) and
adjustment (for the animals).  Of course it does depend on the individual
animal and child...:)

As far as toxoplasmosis is concerned, I've been taught that the only danger
is when a pregnant woman seroconverts (has never been infected and becomes
infected while pregnant) or when a person with a severely compromised immune
system becomes infected or has been infected and latent infection
recrudesces (spelling?).  Toxoplasmosis in cats is only shed in the feces
for a few weeks when the cat is first infected.  A cat that tests positive
for toxoplasmosis does not shed the organism.  I don't know the specifics on
ferrets, but they weren't even mentioned when toxoplasmosis was taught.
Also, the infective stage of the orgaism is found in old feces -- I think it
takes a week.  As my parasitology profs say...you can eat the fresh stuff,
but don't touch the old...:) (Sorry if I offended anyone).  My parasitology
professors also mentioned that you are more likely to become infected by
handling raw meat.  The recomendations given to prevent infection were:
clean the litter box every day, don't handle raw meat or wear gloves, wear
gloves when gardening, don't eat raw meat (the organisms forms cysts in the
muscle, which are also infective), wash hands frequently, and use common
sense.  BTW, you can be tested (blood test) to check whether you've already
been infected.

I could go on forever.  If anyone has questions or comments feel free to
email me.
                                        Lisa, Daisy and Squirt