From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:33:01 -0700
I can't find the original message. Someone posted that they use small
animal bedding in their ferret's cage and warned about I think it was
a specific colour causing a reaction in their ferrets.

Why are you using small animal bedding? It's entirely unnecessary with
ferrets and will confuse them and possibly cause them not to use their
litter boxes. And as you're seeing, it can often cause respiratory
problems

It also retains the odors from the oils in their skin so will make the
cage smell. Just use hammocks, snuggle sacks, etc. If you've added tile
to the cage floors (which most do to protect the ferrets' feet, make
the cage easier to clean) then cut soft fabric in the dimensions of the
floor if want the floors to be more comfortable for the ferrets. I have
about a dozen cuts of fabric to fit the two floors of my Quality Cage's
Ferret Mansion (the third is bare as it's the bottom floor and
comprised entirely of litter boxes) and switch them out weekly and wash
them.

Laura