From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:38:47 EST
>Subject: Violent Sneezing.  Allergies? What else could it be?
<ferret with a sneezing fit; wonders about allergies>

Our boy, Atlas, had a pretty nasty allergy early this last fall.  He was the
"Itchy & Scratchy" show all by himself.  All of a sudden he began to
constantly dig at himself.  He also had very red and swollen ears, feet, and
face.  I gave him a bath to wash off anything that might be causing the
itching.  It quieted him for an hour or two, but then he went back to
itching.  We took him to our vet who gave him a shot....I can't quite recall
what it was, perhaps cortizone.  We also had to give him antibiotics for a
week and a half.  (He had a number of scratches.)

The vet and ourselves were at a loss for the specific cause.  All we could
guess is that he came into contact with something that irritated his skin
when Atlas was outside for a walk two day prior.  The shot eventually calmed
him down and the itching stopped.  We've had no relapses of the event.

Ferrets can have allergies and reactions just like humans.  I would suggest
a visit to your vet.  It will possibly give you peace of mind and your fuzzy
peace from sneezing.  ;)

>Subject: Having house sprayed for fleas
<asking for suggestions>

One suggestion.  If you do have the house flea-bombed, make sure to pick up
toys, blankets, food, dishes, etc.  and keep out of the house until the bomb
is over, keep in airtight containers, and/or make sure everything is washed
after the bomb.  I would also clean floors, carpets, furniture, etc.  after
the bomb.  No reason to subject yourselves or your pets to any toxic
residues.  Be sure to also get information on what chemicals are being used
and any cautions or side-effects they may have.

>Subject: Marshall Farms
<the topic that never dies!>

Just my $.02.....unless you are willing to be a vegetarian, not wear
leather/furs, use cosmetics/soaps/shampoos/etc. that are cruelty-free, not
take just about any medication, etc. I feel it's a bit hypocritical to
solely target MF with vehemence on how they treat their animals.  If you
want to make things better for animals, make informed choices about where
you spend your money and work in a positive manner with organizations and/or
manufacturers/farms/businesses to improve animal conditions, care, and
handling.  Rants on this list and newsgroups will never change how ferrets
(or animals in general) are treated or settle this MF discussion.

-kim (owns 4 MF fuzzies that she wouldn't give up for any amount of $$$),
 squirt ("Gimme Some Mel'n!"), pippi ("House of the Rising Melon"),
 atlas ("Devil in a Blue Collar"), and ("I Want to Bite Your Hand")

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.