From:
Paula Lytle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 1995 02:13:08 -0700
I just received my summer 1995 J. Peterman catalogue. For those of you
unfamiliar with it, this is a mail order catalogue that sells fairly
expensive but unusual clothing. The catalogue descriptions are evocative
of mood or scenes. It can be  pretentious, but often amusing. Anyway,
page 9 shows a woman's flowered skirt and the copy reads as follows:
"Dressing for 2000- The resale value of pre-fuel-injection Mercedes-Benzes
is going up. More diaries are being written with fountain pens. And I
recently saw a woman carrying a pet ferret. Just like a Renaissance portrait.
The facts (missed, somehow, by Toffler and Naisbitt) indicate to me that
whatever stupendous and earthshaking changes we encounter as we head into
the millenium, the death of romance will not be one of them."
Ferret chic used to sell skirts- I wonder how my girls would look in one
of them.
Paula  with the pretentious ;) pair, Persephone and Pandora