From:
Kimberly Trusty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:27:08 -0500
Hello all

I need HELP. Bob has been diagnosed with diabetes. The problem is there
seems to be so little literature on it that nobody knows how to treat
it in a ferret. He spent 3 days in the hospital and they let him come
home today.

I think they sent him home to die. He won't eat, all the stuff you get
for hydration is full of sugars of one kind or another. I can't stand
to see him like this. He is only 5 years old and this hit so fast.
They sent home insulin but I am not sure it is doing any good. He
gets .1 unit in the morning. He just wants to sleep all the time. I
don't know if I should go up on the insulin, I hate to syringe feed
him, especially if it is just delaying the inevitable, but he has no
appetite. Today he ate about 5 cc of a/d watered down with some baby
food meat added and a tablespoon of ferretone. He has lost so much
weight. There is all kinds of stuff for insulinoma and what to do if
their sugar is too low. If anyone has any info it would be so
gratefully appreciated.

Thanks Kim and Bob the ferret