From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 07:02:06 EDT
Kat wrote about the cost of Autopsies:
I'm wondering if a good portion of that cost was actually lab fees because
you vet wanted to send out body parts for analysis?  Next time you might
want to ask if this is the case, and if you skipped the lab work what the
cost would be for the vet himself to take a look.  Sometimes vets will do
the necropsy for free as a learning experience for the vet if no lab costs
are involved.

Debi wrote about colors:
I've always been told that the only color ferrets can see is red.  I don't
know if this is the case.  We've done some very unscientific testing on it
by taking two identical toys except for the color, and offering both to the
ferrets.  Almost always they seem to be more interested in the red toy over
blue, green or yellow.  So maybe they can see all colors but prefer the
reds?

Cheweasels v. Marshall's Superchew's:
Perhaps it is the shape or the difference in thickness, but our ferrets
just don't like the Marshall's chews as much as the Cheweasels.  I believe
the Superchews are less money, so if your ferrets like them, that's great!
My experience is regretfully that they much prefer the Cheweasels to the
point that about half of them won't go near the Marshall's.

A Marshall's product that all the ferrets seem to absolutely love is the
polar fleece toys with the jingle bells in them.  Almost all of my group
(currently 30+) just love these toys!  I just bought another half dozen
from the Ferret Store last weekend.  They seem to hold up well to
considerable abuse.  The only problem I've had was with the mouse shaped
one, one of my girls chewed the mouse's ears off.  Out came the Laxatone
tube :-)

Anne