From:
Eleanor Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:56:36 -0400
An update on Sarah who was diagnosed with diabetes over 3 weeks ago -
She went in for her 2nd blood glucose curve and most readings were around
270 or so which was much better than the recent 400-500+ readings (One
reading was 418).  She had her insulin increased by 1 unit and is now on
4 units of Humulin NPH.  She goes back in one week for another blood
curve.  I just got a blood glucose monitor and will learn how to do my
own testing also at home.  I can tell she feels better just by her
behavior, she is more herself and hates being caged.  She absolutely
loves her MD special diet by Purina (for diabetec cats) and she is so
easy to give her insulin in a needle.

Now I have another, Wolf, who is also 4 1/2 years old, Marshall Farms
ferret (once again as Sarah), who is the opposite, he is insolinomic.
He had 2 seizures within 3 days!  I noticed something not right, he was
just sitting there, staring, doing nothing after I let him out to play
and I did not like his breathing.  I called my vet and rushed him in (5
minutes down the road).  On the way in, he started drooling and went limp
(mind you, I have not seen a seizure before like this).  This is when I
realized he was in a seizure.  He was given sugar, etc at the vets and
his bg was 36.  They kept him till they were sure he was stablized.  His
pred was increased.  He was diagnosed with insolinoma 4 months ago and we
have been doing medical managment due to insolinomas coming right back.
Wolf ended up having another seizure 3 days later and I asked my vet for
a script for diazoxin.  He is now on that also.  I am feeding Wolf every
3 hours because he will not eat kibble on his own!  he has almost every
kind you can think of mixed all together (all my kids get a multi variety
mix of kibble daily plus chicken gravy).  He will only eat the chicken
gravy (spoiled I assume now-his teeth are ok) and loves gerber chicken,
turkey, lamb and beef.  I am afraid to leave the house and go too far for
fear of him having a seizure!  I did see another vet and he took an xray
and all looks ok.  Wolf's bg was 36 again, before the diazoxin.  I did
buy the bg monitor and am learning to use it.  What I want now, is to get
Wolf stabilized so I can get him hopefully into surgery.  I do not know
if ultrasound should be done first to see if his nodule(s) too big or
what is going on.  I do not want to risk his life either way.  One vet my
friend took her ferret to who has insolinoma said that if he felt it was
unoperable (too big) he would just pretty much phone her and let the
ferret pass under anesthesia.  I do not want that!  I would rather do
medical management than lose him.  Who is the best vet to go to in MA
????  South Shore area or Boston, (please not Angel Memorial).  I used to
go to Dr Karen but she is no longer in MA.  I trusted her all the way
with my kids and miss her so much.  I want someone who is VERY knowligble
in the ferret field and especially surgically.  If anyone can refer me,
please do.  I have 2 vet visits coming up for him with 2 different vets
but I want someone who is surgically ferret sure and not afraid to do a
ferret but will not risk his life either if unoperable.  Help please.

I have heard, through the grapevine, of a drug not available in the USA
(Canada only) called "Trilostane"??  being used to treat adrenal disease
in the ferret that is supposed to be better than Lupron???  Do not know
if this is true, but may have heard this also, does anyone have any info
on this or tried it?

Ebay Ferrets for sale again, you've gotta check the cuties out.  You can
see them hopefully through these links.  If not please look under seller
minkey98 or email directly for questions.  Thank you for any answers to
above questions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3694067916
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4318708493
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3694087112