From:
Guy & Debbie Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:33:00 -0500
I am presently running a shelter from my home.  I have converted my son's
bedroom in our finished basement into a shelter.  The carpet has been
replaced with tile.  I have two tiers of cages - basic critter cage size
suitable for one or two ferrets; plus a large double door critter cage
for a multiple turn in where the furries should not be separated causing
additional stress.  I have plenty of food, water bottles and blankets
thanks to the support of members of our club and supporting pet stores.
So what could be my problem?

What is the general rule of thumb for exercising shelter ferts?  I exercise
two of my shelter ferts every morning for an hour before work in separate
rooms as they are terrified of other ferrets.  After work I do two more
shifts - my own 7 get two to three hours and then the 4 remaining shelter
ferts get time with us upstairs interacting with us.  I can exercise
ferrets upstairs in the livingroom/dining room area, our bedroom and of
course the ferret shelter room.

Each ferret must get at least one hour of exercise and human bonding each
and every day, no matter what other chores and errands need doing.  Should
the shelter be swamped with surrenders; I do have a couple of people
willing to take in and foster a ferret.

How do other shelter operators manage when you have 20 or 30 or even more
ferrets.  Do they all get exercised each day, or do you have a roster
rotating exercise time to every other day?  If ferrets are not housed in
someone's home, how often do they have free range time and human cuddles.

I am not passing judgments here, I just want to make sure that what I'm
doing is OK and if I have to miss a day, I won't have to flog myself with
a wet noodle over it!

I have 7 of my own darlings (yeah, several of them rescues that stole my
heart by the time I nursed them back to health and just couldn't part with
them) and 7 shelter ferts.  I have set the limit of ferrets that I can
handle in the shelter to be 12.  This would make 19 ferrets to care for
each and every day.  Any more and I'd have to stay home and do round the
clock exercise runs.  I don't think my boss will pay me to stay home and
look after my furries <grin>

I want to add that one or two sick ferrets can push bedtime back to
midnight or later and I'm up at 6:00 a.m.  Sleep?  what's that??  <grin>

Sorry for the length, but I wanted to give all the facts in order to get
some sound advise.  Much thanks; in advance.

Deb
Zookeeper
President, Manitoba Ferret Association
& Shelter operator