From:
"Mary Lyn G. Rivamonte" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:40:43 -0500
I tend to watch Animal Planet a fair amount and I've been rather disturbed
by two recent depictions of ferrets I've seen on there lately.  Last night I
was watching "Wild Rescues" (I think that's the name) and a lady was there
talking about how she saves wild animals such as tigers, bears, and FERRETS
from people who don't understand the needs of such wild animals.  It showed
a cage with a couple of sweet looking little sable boys in it and she
proceded to describe them as vicious around children and not meant to be
kept domestically!  On another show (it may be the show you mentioned) the
guy told a "humorous" story about how his first ferret fell out a 2nd story
window while he was talking to Mike Meyers and they had never found it
again.  They then laughed saying that it had stank anyway since it hadn't
been descented and Mike so nice he bought him a replacement ferret *host and
guest laugh together awhile*.  I generally like to watch Animal Planet and
they did have one good episode of the Animal Doctor with ferrets, a few
weeks ago, but last night I was rather disgusted by the "Wild Rescues" show.
Sorry to ramble on about this, but seeing misinformation like that on a
channel that is aimed at informing the public about animals really bothers
me.

Mary Lyn Rivamonte, Gypsy, and TG