From:
Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:07:39 EST
Dear Alicia,

So sorry to hear this news.  I had talked to you last Sunday and feared
Ewoks time was short from what you told me.  But then, their time always
seems short doesn't it?  10 years isn't even enough...but few make that.  I
lost a 3 year old to a heart attack just a week ago, lost an older gal
(5-7?) to lympho, though she put up a mighty fight, and lost a 2 year old
to something we've yet to determine...perhaps some mutant coccidia strain,
necropsy results should be back soon.  Thought I'd lose another 2 year old
boy to cancer just last Tuesday, but we got lucky with him...it was 'only'
an enlarged prostate due to an adrenal tumor.  Tumor is gone now (surgery)
and prostate is remarkably down due to Baytrill and Amoxi and he can pee
now!!!  That's one happy boy!!  So out of 4 very sick kids I only have one
left, and most that passed were *way* too young.  This is the hardest part
of sheltering and the only part that causes thoughts of giving it up to
even cross my mind.  This is also the lonliest part for us too, isn't it
Alicia?  No one has a clue what it's like until they've faced death almost
on a weekly basis as we do.  No one understands this part of sheltering,
and the part of trying to decide when to let them go or when to step in and
help them to go.  God that's hard!  But what can you do?  If not for us,
where would these kids be?  So we plug along and try not to dwell on the
sadness.  Remember the good times Ewok had and the love he gave you, draw
strength from him now that he's gone.  Know that he is resting without
pain.

Warm Fuzzy Hugs,
Trish