Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 23:57:08 EDT
Hi Bob & FMLers,

Believe me, I'm as mad as Bob is but I really don't fault Ferrets, the
magazine, or the staff of Ferrets.  The owner of both companies is Fancy
Publications and there probably is even a corporation above that!  Ferrets
and Ferrets USA have been very supportive of the ferret legalization efforts
and gave CFL two full page ads (of a sort, our WANTED Poster) for free, and
the articles they publish about our efforts here in CA on ferret
legalization really helps to get the word out to people who would not
otherwise know what's going on or whom to contact.  (Modern Ferret Magazine
has also run our WANTED poster for free on more than one occasion and does
an excellent job of keeping people up to date on legalizaton.)

They do pay much for these articles, you're right, it's a couple of hundred
dollars, but I earn more professionally taking photos for the high tech
industry than in writing (I'm a good, fast photographer but a slow, plodding
writer).  I don't know about the other writers for Ferrets, but I take thes
assignments if I have the time because it is an opportunity to keep people
up to date, to spread the word about our efforts and I believe it has
strengthened our numbers greatly.  By widely distributing our web address
and legal info it gives so many people a source to turn to.  People in CA
have called for legalizaton information, for vet referrals, and for basic
ferret care.  People outside CA also call for updates on legalization and
what it's like to live in CA with a jailbird ferret.  In my opinion, the
good that Ferrets and Ferrets, USA does should not tarnished by this awful
book.  Bow Tie, on the other hand, deserves to be boycotted by the ferret
community, their insensitivity to our situation and to the facts is
intolerable.

It may be best to find out who runs Bow Tie, or its parent, Fancy
Publications, and direct your letters there.  One never knows if
correspondence directed to the guilty party even sees the light of day.
That's one reason I never ask folks to waste their time writing to the Fish
and Game Department, but only to the Fish and Game Commission (which is
supposed to have oversight over these people), to their legislators, and to
the Governor.

If anyone can take the time to find out someone's address at the top,
perhaps our letters would be more effective.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR STATE SENATOR BY VISITING THIS SITE!!
CALL AND WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND GOV. WILSON--DON'T LET OUR BILL DIE!