From:
Brenda Lee Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 16:05:44 -0500
Hi.  I have just joined the FML this weekend and think you are all really
great.  I have recently lost my baby ferret, Ursa, who was only five months
old.  I am writing because I would hate for someone to go through the same
thing I have gone through because it is believed that ferrets can defend
themselves against cats.

I had taken Ursa home to my parents' house for the weekend because I could
not bare to leave her in her cage or with a friend.  Now I wish I only had.
My cat at home is a two year old male, 14 lbs.  I didn't think that CC ( my
cat) would like Ursa, but I didn't think that he would try to kill her
either.  Well, after a brief introduction, I knew that things would not work
out.  CC attacked Ursa, and fortunately I broke them up.  Ursa had a
bitemark, but nothing serious.  I then kept Ursa in her carrier, locked in
my room (which is on the second floor).  The next evening my SO and I were
babysitting my nephew who is only seven and loved Ursa to death.  I let him
play with her in my room and checked on them frequently.  My cat did not
seem to have any interest in them, so I didn't think twice about leaving
them alone.  When it was late, I told my nephew that he should lay down in
my bed until his parents returned.  About twenty minutes later, We heard the
most awful scream from my nephew.  We tore up the steps, but did not get
there in time.  My nephew had had the door closed, but the door was not
latched and CC had sneaked in.  Ursa was paralyzed.  The vet wanted us to
wait for two days to see if it was just temporary.  It was not.  I had her
put to sleep the day before my birthday.  It was the hardest thing I have
ever had to do.  I know you all know how I feel, unfortunately my family did
not.  I only had her for two months, but within this time, she became my
best friend.  It has been six weeks since this has happened and I still look
for her to be jumping on me every morning when I awake.  Just looking at her
made me so happy.  In fact, within those two months that she was with me, I
have changed my career plans and have decided to become a vet.  I apologize
for making this so long, I just don't want someone to make the same mistake
I have made.  I will never forgive myself for not being careful enough.
Please don't take that chance.

                           Brenda