From:
Michele Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1980 22:40:51 -0400
Hi all,
Debi Christy brought up a very good point concerning vet clinics that not
many people realize.  When you take your ferret to the vet, and the animal
is kept overnight, is there anyone there with him/her?  Not all clinics
have 24 hr. staff.  I've noticed several posts where the owners stated the
vet was taking their little one home with THEM for the night.  That is a
really great thing, but in all my years of working with vets, I have never
seen it happen where I have worked.  Perhaps in smaller, rural clinics?
Anyhow, it has taken me some bit of time and effort to get the ferrets at
my clinic to recieve overnight attention, but it is a very important point.
Meds and feedings are much better metabolized with our little guys on a
round-the-clock schedule than from 8-5.  Excellent point brought up.  What
are other clinic schedules like with your ferret?  A good thing for every
owner to look into.  There is a difference between assisted feeding and
FORCE feeding.  Offering a food on a spoon or dribbling some on a ferrets
tongue is not the same as cramming a syringe down a throat while scruffing.
Ferrets are one animal that seems to respond to frequent "attention" from
it's owner to get it to eat when it feels ill.  I've had ferrets that would
not eat ANYTHING, and would eat within 24 hrs.  after some simple attention
and coaxing first with a finger, then a spoon, then to a bowl, etc.  But
you'd be suprised how many ferret owners are out there that don't realize
this and will bring their ferrets in with a 30% or greater weight loss
because they've been off their kibble for week!  I'm very excited about the
work our vets are doing with total parenteral nutrition...been used in dogs
and cats for liver and panc.  disease for years now, but is showing promise
with some of our ECE and chronic bowel cases lately.  With TPN, the idea is
the intestines and digestive organs get a rest, and don't have to work
metabolizing food and can just concentrate on "repair".  All of the ferrets
nutrients are delivered in a STEADY stream right to the bloodstream, so
there is no bouncing of glucose levels, etc.  Pretty neat stuff!

Got a question....Colin, my 3 yr old, has recently started sucking on
anything bearing a jean texture...almost looks like a horse cribbing or
windsucking.  He'll grab a hold and arch his neck, and do this for 10
mins or more.  (which is a really long time for him).  Anyone else have
experience with this?  He's also one of my ones who's gained a LOT of
weight lately.  I've recently started (2 mos) feeding TF exclusively, and
he really LIKES it, I guess!

Michele & the gang