From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 23:42:52 -0500
I feel the need to post my concerns for others to read because the
answers and comments I get may help me decide whether I should support
Nell's situation.... or just go about my business. I realize that there
are two choices, to help or not to help. But if Nell addresses the
questions and concerns I have, that just might help me with deciding
which choice to pick.

Maybe thats why others have posted comments about Nell's situation, and
yes I will agree that some of them have been negative, but mine isn't
meant to be. So if my post comes across as harsh and/or negative, I
apologize in advance.

So, here are just a few of my many, many concerns (for what it's
worth). For those of you who don't really care, or are sensitive to
posts that attempt to tell it like it is, then simply skip this, I
wouldn't mind. :-)

I am posting anonymous for obvious reasons, with that said, I would
have to agree with everything the anonymous poster wrote (Subject:
Ethiopian animals).

Mentioning this upfront, I am very reluctant to send a donation towards
Nell's cause because the entire situation just seems too strange,
possibly embellished, and way too melodramatic for my taste.

I have been following Nell's writings about living in Ethiopia probably
since they began. I had always thought that her living situation was,
well.... "interesting" and somewhat intriguing. Many posts that she
sent included pictures of smiling faces and what I gathered as a happy,
peaceful living situation, in a place I would never dream of living in.

We must keep in mind that Nell has been living in this situation for
some time now, taking in (IMHO) many, many (WAY too many) types of
animals, cats, dogs, donkeys, and unfortunately she happens to have
ferrets. One of them may have insulinoma.

Now she plans on taking that ferret on a long trip back to the US?

This is a serious concern. The trip "back home" could cause some issues
to that ferret as many of us should know, unnecessary stress and death
just to name a few. (Even Nell should know this, with all the free
advise she has been given throughout the years)

The current welfare and health of that ferret should be Nell's #1
concern right now, but instead (the way I see it) -- she seems to be
more concerned about getting back to the US.

Like the anon poster mentioned, it does seems that suddenly (after
Nell has been her situation for a while now, sharing many stories and
pictures of happiness) Nell writes that she is getting ripped off, some
cash that was just laying around her house has been stolen, she is
having serious issues with her "helpers", yadda, yadda, yadda. It's
just one big mess after another. Each new day seems to bring in a new
mess or crisis for her. It just all seems a little strange, for lack of
better words to use.

Here's another concern:
I recently heard a "rumor" that Nell asked for donations to get *to*
Ethiopia, and many people in the ferret community were kind enough to
donate for this!

Is the rumor true?

If so, it's sad that Nell has managed to get herself into this
situation, and its even more sad (and disturbing) that she wants our
help again.

Yet another sad thing is, Nell didn't seem to do any research before
going to Ethiopia. "Knowledgable ferret vets in Ethiopia" should have
been the first google search she did before bringing ferrets into that
environment.

But what's done is done. Now were in the situation on whether to help
her get back. And she mentioned that she may need to go back and forth
maybe a few times to gather the rest of the animals she has taken in.

I have major concerns for all the animals not just the ferrets. What
will be the fate of the animals she leaves behind? From her posts, it's
not going to be good. However one has to wonder if what she writes is
seriously realistic, or just embellished? Perhaps it's a way to pull at
our heart strings? I will admit, it has pulled at mine.

Surely there has to be some kind, big hearted animal loving people
living in Ethiopia. It might just be a matter of taking more time and
effort to find them, which it sounds like she has been trying to do
this, which maybe has given there fate a "few more months". But Nell, I
hope you try harder, a "few" more months just isn't good enough. You
were the one that made the choice to take these animals in, now I
believe you should take the time to find them a good home. If it takes
more time for you to do that, then so be it.

If the fate of the animals left behind comes to what Nell has
mentioned, which will not be good, Im sure we will eventually be
reading about that too. That's one post I think I will choose to skip.
Again, It's extremely sad that she got herself into this situation,
which IMO is a borderline hoarding situation. Sorry, but how can any
of this be acceptable?

Oh, and I heard another rumor that she has already made arrangements
to get one or a few more ferrets from a private breeder once she gets
back, is this rumor true as well? If so, I guess all I can say is...WTF
Nell?!? What are you thinking? Please get your life in order before
taking in any more pets.

And then theres this:
What's going to happen when when she gets back to the US? Nell has
mentioned that she has arranged a living situation with someone, but
is she viewing her future with rose colored glasses? The grass isn't
always greener on the other side. With hardly any money now, how is
she going to make a living back here? Ask for donations again?

Bottom line, I don't think there is going to be a simple answer or
remedy for the situation that Nell has managed to get herself into,
for those who are or have donated towards this cause, kudos to you!
Personally, I just can't bring myself to donate with all the questions
and concerns I have.

I guess we can only hope and pray that the ferrets make it back safely,
and there health is not compromised, because it sounds as if the
adventure will be taking place soon whether we agree with everything
or we don't.

To sum this all up, I support those who are brave enough to come
forward with there concerns, like the recent anonymous poster did,
simply because I couldn't have said it better myself. ANYONE should
have the right to question Nell's situation, especially since there
seems to be so much donated money involved, and they shouldn't be
afraid to do so.

I also wanted to share those nasty rumors I heard, hopefully Nell can
clear them up for us.

To Nell:, I hope you don't find my comments, concerns and delivery to
be "remarkably unkind" also. Believe it or not, it isn't meant to be. I
tried my best not to be unkind about your situation and I am concerned
for you and your animals. While writing this, I too had to stop a
minute to put the snippiness back in its hidey hole, my ferrets were
happy to help me with finding a good stash. :-)

Seriously, I wish you good luck with your adventure back home.

[KR]