From:
NANCY D AXTELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:54:21 -0700
Hi. Warning... long post...[?]

I have a sick ferret named Houdini and my vet and I don't know what's
wrong with him. It started two weeks ago when I noticed he had lost
lots of weight and had become seriously dehydrated over the course
of two days (was initially some mushier than normal poo - not too
uncommon - that suddenly escalated into severe diarrhea).

He was hospitalized on fluids and dextrose for a day and a half -
responded well. On the second day he was drinking on his own and
catheter was removed. Started eating as well - although he had some
a/d supplemented with his dry food. They did x-rays but couldn't find
anything other than some fluid in the belly - not lots but enough to
keep from getting a clear view of his stomach. They tried to drain the
fluid to get a better shot, but he was too "shocky" at the time and
his belly was too painful.

He has been home for a week and a half now (on antibiotics and a
stomach coater for a week), but is still a bit thin and is still
"sluggish". I know he is drinking because I see him drink fairly
regularly. I don't think he is eating as much as he should but I am
sure he is eating a bit. Haven't seen diarrhea, maybe some mushy poo
periodically, but no diarrhea. He is only just over three, has been
perfectly healthy until now, no hair loss anywhere, and was a late
alter at about a year old (not Marshall farms).

If anyone has any ideas on what he may have or how to get him "over the
hump" I am interested to hear your thoughts. I don't want him to have a
relapse or get worse again since we don't know what happened initially.

All the other 4 ferrets are doing just fine. Not sick, eating and
drinking, nice thick coats (well, except for my patchy molter who I
think is probably adrenal but is otherwise a crazy ferret like normal).

Thanks,
Katie, Houdini the sick, Sadie, Kombi, Fiona and Ozzy